March 12, 2008

The female vessel


The picture shows the Phoenician goddess Astarte as pot mother. She is hollow and when filled pours the liquid from her breasts into the vase in her lap. A perfect and ancient example of the queen of cups' archetype, created ages before the tarot was thought out and female nipples became taboo.
The woman is the vessel that carries life. With the invention of pottery in the neolithic, pots and vases became symbols of storage and as such represented the female and her womb. The queen of cups represents this life carrying aspect of the female energies and I feel I should picture her like her prehistoric counterpart; As a vessel, carrying and pouring.

2 comments:

Joseph Thiebes said...

Hello, I would like to discuss with you the possibility of representing your work in a new gallery in the U.S. I am particularly interested in your Tarot work and anything else of an esoteric bent. Please let me know how I might contact you via email and we can discuss further.

Cheers!

Temperlyne said...

Dear Joseph,
Thank you for your interest in my work. If you are still interested in representing my work, please contact me via temperlyne@yahoo.com.
Thnx Bauke